Monday, March 1, 2010

almost SpRiNg!!!

it's march and we haven't died of depression from lack of sunlight yet!!! things are looking up!! seriously. i spent the weekend in new jersey and new york city with my dad. we were originally planning to go to georgia and south carolina to look at law schools, but i decided that i definitely don't want to go to the schools there. they're SUCH pretty places and i find myself secretly wanting to live there, but the law schools there are exPENsive and they don't have the opportunities that i really want. i'll end up being a hideously indebted girl with a mediocre education who got to live in a really pretty place for awhile (and then probs had to go back home and live with my parents for the rest of my life or something). maybe someday i'll end up there, but for now i need to go get the education that i want (at the price i can live with!!). i think i know where that place is. i'll know for sure in two weeks:)

so instead of the pretty states, we went to visit Timothy Keller's church in NYC. My dad's brother and his family live right outside the city, so we went to visit and stayed with them on saturday night. i had so much fun!! we sat around and just ate and caught up and i got to play playdough and such with my little three year old cousin. so nice to be around family. i wish i could see them more often:) the next day, we drove to nyc and walked around the city all day until the night service. we went to the american museum of natural history and i basked in how little i actually know about history. we ate yogurt from the shake shack. we checked out central park. and then we heard Dr. Timothy Keller beautifully outline, explain, and expound upon Isaiah 54. Seriously, if you can get the podcast, DO IT. I was left with some thoughts to ponder, and also some cassette tapes of past sermons of his that I got for $1 each at the cd table. One of my goals for March is to pick some sermons and listen to them repeatedly on my many commutes to and from work. I've been making an attempt to be consistent with reading my Bible/pondering my readings lately, and I think hearing the same truths over and over again over a period of time might be a good idea.

Idk if it's the weather or what, but i'm in a goal setting mood. i like the whole beginning of the month, fresh start thing. here are some that i have in mind for march...
1.) put in my two weeks notice at job #2.

dunno if this will happen or not. i'm always thinking about whether i should be working two jobs or not. i would have more time to pu tinto the other goals if i was only working one job. no question. but my ULTIMATE goal right now is to get to law school. i can't do anything about the workload right now. the only part of that goal that i can work on is the financing. i don't want to be anyone's slave if i can possibly avoid it. but is 20 hours a week of slicing meats and cheeses really making enough of a difference financially for me to sacrifice time with friends, time for myself, the gym, more church time, and other things i'm sure?? will i look back and be happy i did it or wish i had prioritized differently?? does the Bible say anything about this or am i left to make this decision on my own?? i'm trying to balance what it says about debt and what it says about time. I don't know!!!

2.) listen to Timothy Keller's sermons on cassette while driving.

I need to take advantage of my time. there's no way around it. i want to try this and see how it goes.

3.) clean up my eating!

ummm, put down the snickers, pick up the fruit! i'm totally taking advantage of the fact that i spend my days running around and can eat alooooot of food right now without gaining weight. maybe some of that food shouldn't come in a package/be loaded down with crap!!

i actually have some more things in mind that i want to do this month, but i don't want to overwhelm myself. we'll see if this stuff happens. spring is coming people!! it's time to get happy and get ambitious!:)

No comments:

Post a Comment